Family Law AssociationThe Law Society of Scotland
Glasgow 0141 375 1222

Road Traffic Claims Glasgow, Scotland

Have you been involved in a road traffic accident that was not your fault? Speak to one of our solicitors about your accident. You could claim compensation whether you were a driver or passenger in a car or on public transport, or if you were a pedestrian involved in an accident. If a loved one has died as a result of a road traffic accident, get in touch with us. Our solicitors will treat your case with a sympathetic, discreet approach, and will guide you smoothly through the entire process, keeping you well-informed throughout. Below is a list of some of the different types of road traffic accident claims we regularly help our clients with:

How do I Make a Road Traffic Accident Claim?

To make a road traffic claim, it is important you have proof the other party or parties involved cause the injuries sustained. Taking photographs of the accident where possible, and taking details of witnesses to the accident will help with your claim. Keep damaged property where possible, and any receipts for buying replacements. There are time limits for road traffic claims so speak to one of our solicitors as soon as possible after the accident to start your claim.

It is important to seek medical advice following an accident as soon as possible. This can provide valuable evidence in support of your claim and ensure that you receive the compensation level you deserve. The amount of compensation you will receive is based on an assessment of injuries sustained and you can also claim for loss of earnings (including bonuses, overtime and pensions); damage to property; the cost of care; any extra cost for domestic services incurred. Where someone has died in an accident, their close relatives can also claim for loss of income and also for ‘loss of society’ (compensation for the suffering caused by the loss of a loved one).

As with any personal injury claim, road traffic accident claimants must prove the following:

  • That the person defending the claim owed you a ‘duty of care’. The duty of care is an obligation that is imposed on every person not to do anything, or omit to do anything that could foreseeably cause harm. Where road traffic accidents are concerned, a duty of care is assumed in most circumstances as road users owe a duty to each other.

  • That the person who caused the injury breached their duty of care: there must be evidence to show the duty of care was breached. This can be the more difficult of the two tests to satisfy and will largely depend on the quality of evidence. Evidence that road users did not follow the Highway Code, or that road users were in some way impaired when driving, through alcohol or drugs; and evidence that the road user was driving recklessly will help to satisfy this test.

Hit & Run Accident Lawyers Glasgow & Scotland

Have you been injured in a hit and run accident? It is still possible to claim compensation even if you can’t find who caused the accident. Some trade union schemes offer pay-outs in such cases, and, failing that, the Motor Insurer’s Bureau (MIB) is the fund of last resort for road accident victims. Contact our solicitors today if you have been the victim of a hit and run. The MIB may challenge your claim, and we will work hard to ensure you get the best possible compensation. Speak to one of our solicitors as soon as possible if you have been involved in a hit and run accident, as the usual time limit of three years is reduced to nine months in these cases.

Contact us via our online contact form or give us a call on 01413751222.

Uninsured Driver Claims

Drivers are required by law to have adequate insurance before driving on the road. It is the insurance company who will pay out after your accident. As such, it is important that you exchange insurance details with the driver of the other car if you are involved in a car accident. Even if the other driver was not insured, the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) may pay out on your claim. The MIB pay out on claims made by uninsured drivers. If you are pursuing a claim against the MIB then you must:

  • Be able to identify the vehicle involved in the accident, if not the driver.

  • Have attempted to trace the driver who was at fault.

  • You must raise the claim within nine months (rather than the standard three years) of the accident.

What if the Accident Was Partially my Fault?

The court recognises that although some injuries are the partial fault of the injured, they should be able to claim compensation for the negligence on the part of the other person or persons involved. The court will look at the case and decide what proportion of blame should be attached to each party. This is known as ‘contributory negligence’. Once the value of the compensation is determined, the other party will have to pay the portion equal to his/her part in causing the accident. Speak to one of our team for more information. Our solicitors will give you an estimate of what your claim is worth and explain the whole process to you.

Contact our Road Traffic Solicitors in Glasgow & Throughout Scotland Today

We are a team of approachable, responsive, client-focused solicitors, who pride ourselves on offering practical and common sense advice. Our highly skilled solicitors have successfully represented countless road traffic accident cliamants and pride themselves on working hard to get you the best possible outcome. We are based in Glasgow and serve clients in Stirling, Falkirk, Argyll, the Borders, Fife, Edinburgh and throughout Scotland. For clear, informed legal advice and assistance from highly experienced personal injury and road traffic solicitors contact us via our online contact form, or give us a call on 01413751222.

Professional and efficient - R Howieson

Take the First Step Now: Get Legal Advice

Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Where did you hear about us?
Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input