Family Law AssociationThe Law Society of Scotland
Glasgow 0141 375 1222

Historic Child Sex Abuse Claims Lawyers Glasgow, Scotland

The emotional fallout of childhood sexual abuse is significant; the experience can haunt victims for years, even decades after the abuse. Such incidents cause intense fear, of the abuser and of the abuse reoccurring, which can have a debilitating effect on victims’ lives.

It takes courage to seek justice for the trauma you faced as a child, and often it is not an easy path. That is why the sensitive, experienced solicitors at Jones Whyte Law are prepared to walk the path with you. We will guide you every step of the way and offer you expert advice to ensure you receive the best care and the right outcome. Contact us today to find out how we can help you.

Limitation for Childhood Abuse Claims in Scotland

For many years the rules on childhood abuse claims stated that claims for compensation in the civil courts had to be made within three years of the injury. However, the Limitation (Childhood Abuse) (Scotland) Act 2017 will remove this three-year time bar. Under the 2017 Act, victims who were under 18 years of age at the time of the abuse can bring a civil claim at any time. The Act applies to abuse that occurred as far back as 1964. The 2017 Act is intended to come into force during October 2017.

If you have suffered abuse as a child, the 2017 Act allows you to finally claim the compensation you need to get on with your life. We understand that the prospect of bringing a case and discussing what happened to you may be daunting, but all of our team have vast experience in handling historic child sex abuse claims, and empathise with what you are going through.

Practical Issues

However, simply because the law says it is possible to bring a claim, unfortunately that does not mean it will be simple on a practical level. For instance, through a lapse of time it may be hard to obtain evidence – it could essentially be your word against theirs. Also, further complications can arise if the person who caused you injury has died. However, if your abuser was convicted of a crime before they died or there have been a number of similar cases against them, this can help to strengthen your case. It is our job to identify evidence like this.

The team at Jones Whyte are equipped with the skills and experience necessary to prepare a strong, confident case on your behalf. We take a thorough approach to every historic child sex abuse case to give our clients the best chance of getting compensation for the harm they have experienced. We want to see justice done and help you to get a fresh start.

The Process of Making a Historic Child Sex Abuse Claim in Scotland

If you decide the time is right and you are ready to pursue justice for the wrong done to you as a child, then the first step is to get in contact with our solicitors at Jones Whyte. When you first contact us, we will take the time to fully understand your case and your circumstances, and can let you know what your options are going forward, and how likely your claim is to succeed.

If after our initial discussions you decide to proceed with your claim, we will guide you through the process, making sure you understand everything and are completely comfortable with it all. Then we will discuss your options and ways to fund your case. If you pursue a civil claim with us, we will gather medical reports, police reports, and any witness statements that might prove helpful. If the case goes to court, you do not need to be anxious. We will provide expert representation, and explain each step to you to make the experience as straightforward as possible. Because we focus on building a strong case from the outset, and provide expert representation, it is very unlikely you will need to appear in court.

How long does it take to make a historic child sex abuse claim?

Due to the complexities involved in bringing a civil claim for historic childhood sexual abuse, these cases can be lengthy – anywhere from 18 months to three years. The expert solicitors at Jones Whyte will be there every step of the way, not only to make sure your case is strong and has the best possible prospects of success, but also to protect your rights and do everything we can to reduce the emotional impact.

How much compensation can I get for a historic child sex abuse claim?

Your claim for historic childhood sexual abuse is essentially a personal injury claim and compensation is awarded on the basis of the physical and psychological harm you have suffered. There are a number of different factors that will affect how much you may be able to claim, including:

  • how the abuse has affected your life; and
  • any future treatment or therapy you may require.

The amount of compensation awarded in historic child sex abuse cases depends on the individual circumstances. Once we have talked through the details of your case with you, we will provide you with a realistic amount that you can claim for. Contact our highly qualified and approachable team today for confidential and sympathetic advice on your situation. 

Contact Historic Child Sex Abuse Lawyers Glasgow & Edinburgh, Scotland

The team at Jones Whyte specialise in personal injury claims and we have the expertise and dedication necessary to ensure you have the best prospects of successfully pursuing compensation. No matter the injury, where or how it occurred, you can rely on our experience to give you the best chance of achieving justice for what happened to you. Contact us to discuss your options and find out what we can do to help.

We are a team of dynamic, client-focused solicitors, who pride ourselves on providing innovative and effective solutions. Operating throughout Scotland, we offer an open-door policy and legal services tailored to your needs and budget. For legal advice and assistance from solicitors who will always put your best interests first, please contact us. Our head office is in Glasgow, call 01413751222 today, or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Take the First Step Now: Get Legal Advice

Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Where did you hear about us?
Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input