Family Law AssociationThe Law Society of Scotland
Glasgow 0141 375 1222

Refugee Family Reunion Visa

Refugee Family Reunion Visa Solicitors

A Refugee Family Reunion Visa allows family members of refugees to be reunited with them in the UK.  In this application, the refugee is required to act as a ‘sponsor’ for their family members.

If your application for asylum has been accepted, you will be granted official refugee status.  After this, you are permitted to remain in the UK for a period of up to five years.  During this time, any of your family members who still reside in your home country may make an application for a Refugee Family Reunion Visa.

An application for a Refugee Family Reunion Visa can be very complex and requires detailed submissions to be prepared.  It is advisable that you seek the help of an immigration solicitor before you make an application.  Our experienced immigration solicitors can offer you a step-by-step guidance with your Family Reunion Visa application.  We can assess whether you and your family members qualify for this asylum passage and can help locate the appropriate documents to prove your relationship with your family members is genuine.  

We also provide translation services and full application completion.

In order to be eligible for a Family Reunion Visa, you must be:

  • Be residing in the home country of your refugee sponsor
  • Be related to your refugee sponsor
  • Be a member of your refugee relative’s household (when in your home country), such as dependent children
  • You must also be able to provide evidence which demonstrates your relationship to your sponsor. This can most commonly be provided with identity documents, such as birth certificates or passports.

However, if the refugee and family members are unable to gain access to these documents then other forms of proof may be applicable. This includes witness statements, DNA testing, and wedding photographs.  It is important to remember that the most appropriate documents for you will vary according to your relationship with your sponsor.

If you are seeking to bring your partner/wife/husband to the UK then evidence of the marriage being official and legal is required.  This may include evidence of a marriage certificate or, if the relationship in question is between two unmarried or engaged individuals, with proof that the relationship has lasted at least two years.

When you contact us, one of our experienced immigration solicitors will meet with you and discuss your situation. We will also check to ensure that all your documents are sufficient for your application.  We will also write a detailed and comprehensive representation letter to accompany your application.  This letter acts in support of your case and provides the basis of your claim in a clear manner.  The letter will also make reference to any current immigration and asylum laws or cases which support your application.