Family Law AssociationThe Law Society of Scotland
Glasgow 0141 375 1222

Adult Dependent Visa Lawyers

If you are the parent, grandparent, sibling or adult child of a British Citizen or a person with settled status in the UK, you can apply for permission to reside in the UK on an Adult Dependent Visa in exceptional circumstances. 

Exceptional circumstances may apply when you are in need of long-term personal care which your UK relative can provide.  If this proves to be the case, you may be eligible to apply for an Adult Dependent Visa in the UK.

The Adult dependant Visa allows you to join your family in the UK for an unlimited period, as long as the relative is a British Citizen or has settled status in the UK.  You can also use this visa if your relative has refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK.  In this case, you will need to apply to settle in the UK when your relative does.

The Adult Dependent Relative visa route is only available to applicants outside the UK. It is not possible to switch into this route from within the UK.


You must be either

  • a parent aged 18 years or over
  • grandparent
  • brother or sister aged 18 years or over
  • son or daughter aged 18 years or over

of a person aged 18 or over, who is in the UK and is either a British citizen, settled in the UK or a person with refugee leave or humanitarian protection status.

You must also, as a result of age, illness or disability, require long-term personal care (that is help performing everyday tasks, e.g. washing, dressing and cooking);

You must also be unable, even with the practical and financial help of your family member in the UK, to obtain the required level of care in the country where you are living because it is not available and there is no person (close relative, home-help, housekeeper, nurse, carer, care or nursing home) in your country who can reasonably provide it, or because it is not affordable;

You must also need to be adequately maintained, accommodated and cared for in the UK by your family member, without recourse to public funds (if your family member is a British citizen or settled in the UK, they will be required to sign a 5-year undertaking to this effect).


In order to apply for an Adult Dependent Visa, you must be able to prove that you need long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks because of either illness, disability or old-age.

You must also be able to demonstrate that the care you need is not available or affordable in the country you live and that the person you will be joining in the UK will be able to support, accommodate and care for you without claiming public funds for at least five years.

Additionally, you must be at least 18 years old to apply and must provide extensive medical, identification and information records.

You are not required to apply for an IELTS Language test if applying to be cared for by a relative in the UK, using this visa.

If you are granted an Adult Dependent Relative visa then you will be permitted to enter, and remain in the UK, indefinitely.

Adult dependent visa

The Adult Dependent Visa UK is notoriously difficult to obtain.  The application requires a large amount of evidence that the applicant has no access to adequate care in their country of origin. 

If you would like to discuss the requirements of an Adult Dependant Visa or are concerned you do not meet any of these requirements, our experienced solicitors will be able to advise you on the alternative ways you can prove that you are eligible for an Adult Dependant Visa.

One of our experienced immigration solicitors will meet with you to determine your eligibility for an Adult Dependent Visa. We will also check to ensure that all your documents are sufficient for your application and liaise with the Home Office. As well as this, we will write a Letter of Representation to accompany your application. This letter acts in support of your case and makes reference to any current immigration laws or cases which support your case.